Sunday, February 13, 2011

Mr Naidoo! This is the cha cha cha!"

The 1978 film Shalimar stars Rex Harrison, John Saxon and Sylvia Miles, and has a preposterous plot involving a millionairre who invites a number of master criminals to his island retreat, challenging them all to take his place if they can steal the fabulous Shalimar diamond. It's like a mixture of a Bollywood film, a heist film, an Agatha Christie murder film and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. It came to my attention when I heard the opening music, a kitschy addictive number called One Two Cha Cha Cha, which mixed disco and Bollywood in equal measures.

A few years ago I obtained Shalimar on DVD, just for that opening number, but was annoyed to find that it had been completely cut from the English language version. However, someone has kindly put it on youtube, so I've finally been able to see it, after all these years. And it exceeds my expectations.

So welcome to Ferguson's dance studio, where a very motivated and bilingual teacher is going to teach us all the cha-cha-cha...



I think this clip might have taken over from the opening sequence of Jaan Pehechaan Ho as my favourite old Bollywood dance sequence of all time.

No comments: