Tuesday, August 31, 2010

18 years of wedded bliss


My husband and I have been living together for 18 years. You'd think that after all this time we would have resolved all issues and problems and never argue about anything. Think again. Last weekend we had some friends visiting for the weekend. It was lovely to see them again and when we'd last visited them in Birmingham they'd cooked us a lovely meal, so I wanted to return the favour. We got in a range of different breakfast stuff - croissants, toast, cereals, juicing oranges, filter coffee etc. In the end, all they had was some cornflakes. That evening I commented on this to my husband and asked him "It's odd - did you offer them everything? Did you offer them the croissants?

Him: "Yes."

Me: "Did you offer them juice?"

Him: "Yes, I offered them juice."

Me: "Did you say it was freshly squeezed orange juice?"

Him: "No, I just said orange juice."

Me: "Whaaat? Why didn't you say freshly squeezed orange juice. No wonder they didn't want it. Nobody likes shop-bought orange juice.

Him: "That's ridiculous. It wouldn't have made any difference if I'd said it was freshly squeezed or not."

Me: "No! If you buy oranges for juicing, you should let people know about it. It's a way of making them feel extra special!"

Him: "No it isn't."

Me: "It is. You're hopeless."

Him: "You are deranged."

And so on.

Here's to the next 18 years.

No comments: