Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Satisfaction

When the Johnny Harris Orchestra teamed up with The Ascot Dancers in 1969 to perform a bizarre over-choreographed orchestral version of I Can't Get No Satisfaction for a pop Christmas Special from Germany, hosted by Jimmy Saville, it was as if Jupiter aligned with Mars - this was to be the campest moment in all history. Never before had such heights of camp being reached and never would they be again.




I have never taken LSD but I imagine that this is what it is like. Johnny is resplendent, conducting/freaking out with a vigour and enthusiasm that I've never seen before. I love his bonkers piano interlude (he doesn't even sit down for it!). And look out look out look out for the ending - a musical non sequiter. You'll want to watch it all over again as soon as it's finished.

No comments: