Thursday, February 04, 2010

Crazy Consequences of Being On Tv for 20 seconds

My very brief appearance on The One Show seems to have made everyone around me INSANE. My mother phoned me the next day and said "We went to Asda in Hartlepool on Saturday and I felt like a celebrity, I kept expecting people to come up to me and say 'I saw your son last night on tv.'" Not really sure what to do with that.

My fella's mother (who saw the tv clip by accident and freaked out), announced that I was "so handsome that he'll be on Holby City next." The fact I have no acting experience doesn't seem to be an impediment at all. Maybe it isn't - I haven't seen Holby City so I can't say. "Oh don't encourage him", said my fella's eldest sister. "He's vain enough!"



One of my sister's friends gushed that I was a "family man" (I think she was expecting me to be wearing full make-up or something), whereas another friend made my sister a DVD of the episode, with a photo of my face on it.

I have received emails from people from my past. And emails from people who would like to be in my future. An online "community" that I am a member of started a thread about it and my profile got more hits in one evening than it had had in the entirety of last year.

I get the feeling that this is the tiny tip of an enormous iceberg, and that actual famous people must feel as if the whole world has become a mental asylum. No wonder so many of them end up a bit bonkers themselves.



Thankfully, everything has returned to normal now and I can go back to watching tv and feeding the cat.

1 comment:

KAZ said...

I bet your students loved it - I told all my friends about Polari.