Friday, January 15, 2010

15 minutes

Last month I wrote that I was interviewed for BBC1's The One Show. Today they phoned me to say that the feature I was on was going out tonight. I took a deep breath and phoned my mother who lives for The One Show. There was a lot of screaming, and then she had to ring off as she had "lots of phone calls to make".

My fella set the program to record but I decided not to watch it. I have a fairly nice yet completely unrealistic mental image of how I look and sound, and I didn't want to have it shattered. About 7.10 the phone rang and my mother said how great it was. She was a little bit too enthusiastic. She said Aunty Dorothy had liked it too, and would have phoned herself but she had to make the tea. I had a few emails from people who'd seen me, and they were all nice about it also.

While my fella was watching it, I peeked round the corner and saw someone with an oily t-zone who looked like a bit of a nutter. It was me.

7 comments:

黑色幽默 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
KAZ said...

I watched you on iPlayer.
You were great - love the haircut.

Flaming Nora said...

I saw yer! Nearly choked on my walnut whip! Great stuff, Paul.

Sparky said...

Oh stop it — you were as charming as ever.

Argond said...

How funny. I've been reading your blog for years and have only now realised thanks to that One Show interview that the lexicon of polari sitting on my bookshelf that gives us laughs and inspiration in equal measure was penned by you! It all falls into place.... bona!

Adrian said...

You're you! I didn't know. I thought you were really good, and the highs of fame - sharing the screen with Paul Burston. My giddy aunt!

Lost Boy said...

Ah you were very good, well done. But I never want to watch The One Show EVER again. It's like Nationwide with fewer brain cells. Please go on Loose Women or Cash in the Attic next time.