Saturday, June 20, 2009

Should have just had the salad

I had a steak tonight at the hotel's canteen (it has very stark lighting and you order at a counter and carry your food to the table on a tray so it's not glamorous enough to be a restaurant - my fella would refuse to eat there). I ordered a steak (to make up for all the Subway sandwiches I've been eating) and had a bizarre conversation that went like this:

Woman: How you want it? Well done? Medium or Rare?
Me: Well done.
Woman: Well done?
Me: Yes.
Woman: Well done?
Me: Yes well done.
Woman: Well done?
Me: Yes.
Woman: Well done?
Me: Well done. Yes.
Woman: well done?

She then turned to a man who was also serving and asked him to ask me if I wanted it well done. He did.

She then checked with me again, just to see if I wanted it well done. When the meal finally arrived, 20 minutes later, the man who brought it to me said "Well done! Well done! Hahahaha!" I laughed too, but it came out a bit hysterical and some of the westerners sitting nearby looked round at me.

I think I need to go home.

No comments: