Friday, October 10, 2008

Chips and wine

I went to a wine tasting last night. Unlike 99% of the UK I'm not a big alcohol drinker - I was teetotal for 10 years and only started drinking again last year. And when it comes to wine I can never tell them apart - when people start going on about bouquets and whiffs of hollyhocks, I fall asleeep. Anyway, I was invited along, and my fella likes wine, so I thought I'd be a dutiful partner and go with. Everyone there looked really middle-class. I got into a conversation about house prices at one point and thought "Oh god, I'm at a wine tasting evening talking about house prices - I'm the most middle-class person in the world."

And despite trying not to drink all the wine, we ended up a bit drunk. We did taste about 26 different types (flavours?), although by the end they'd all merged into each other and it was difficult to remember which ones were nice and which ones tasted like cat wee. We bought six bottles anyway (which I thought was a lot, but seemed to be quite restrained in comparison to some people who were loading up crates in trolleys). We had to get the bus home, and I was suddenly very hungry so ended up getting chips. So somehow, by the end of the night we'd morphed from Middle-classes to a couple of working-Class louts eating chips at a bus stop. Oh well.

Alcohol interferes with my sleep, so I woke up at 4 in the morning with a headache and that was it. Note to self - don't schedule a 9 o'clock meeting the next day.

3 comments:

KAZ said...

Ha ha!
This is why we love you Lubin.

Marmoset said...

Lol. I'm wondering now where that places me since I was sat on a terrace eating perch and fries (essentially fish and chips) and drinking rose wine.

Flaming Nora said...

Since I've headed towards my, um, mid forties, I find that if I have more than a couple of glasses of wine on an evening I wake up at 4am in a hot flush. Urgh.