Sunday, July 20, 2008

RIP Video Rentals

I spent quite a lot of my teenage years and pocket money in video rental stores, which were popular in the 1980s and 1990s. The first film I ever rented was The Smurfs and The Magic Flute. OK, I was 10 at the time.



Last night, I downloaded my first rental video from Itunes (Year of the Dog - a comedy starring Molly Shannon about a woman who gets obsessed with animal welfare to the point of it being a mental illness). It cost £2.49 (about the same as a new video in those days), and could be watched from the moment it started to download.



I haven't rented a film in years. I was a member of the Blockbusters at Morecambe a few years ago, but visiting it was such a depressing experience that I stopped going (it always smelled of sweat).

Quietly, all of the video rental shops have started to close down. This little insightful clip from The Onion is already noting how they've become historical sites.


Historic ├ó��Blockbuster├ó�� Store Offers Glimpse Of How Movies Were Rented In The Past

No comments: