Saturday, October 27, 2007

I like Amy



I am reading Amy Sedaris' guide to entertaining "I like youL hospitality under the influence". Amy is one of my favourite "funny ladies" and the star of Strangers With Candy - a sitcom about Jerri Blank, a 42 year old dropout who returns to high school to finish her education and ends up learning all the life lessons she missed out the first time round. It seems as if Amy was channelling Jerri when she wrote I like you. Here's a quote from the first page of her book:

As my guests leave even my most simplest partes, I consistently hear the same thing "That was the best time I ever had." And it's always me saying it. But I do know in my heart they all feel the same way, probably. When you see the word party in this book, don't think of pony kegs and loud Southern rock or cigarillos and businesswomen. Don't think of pools and diving for loose change. Don't think about cockfights - even though it's hard not to. Don't think tiki lights and fruity cocktails served in coconut shells on the patio, or a large groupn of drunken seamen clustered together shouting over each other. Think simplicity. Because if there is one thing I am, it's clinically simple.

And here's Amy on Martha Stewart, demonstrating how to make her favourite recipe "Cheese balls" (oh and pretty much annihilating Martha at the same time - "I made you a tissue ghost...").

2 comments:

matty said...

I love this book, too!!!

I think my fave part is where she has the illustrations of the "do's" and "don'ts" of hairstyles!

You know, she taught Martha how to make grill cheese sandwiches with an iron right before she went to jail. I think it was on Letterman. ...or one of those shows. It's somewhere on you tube.

GayProf said...

Huh -- Amy and Martha really don't seem to like each other at all.