Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Fatty Fatty Two By Four Can't Get Through the Barnyard Door

I was always quite skinny (until recently). I shot upwards as a teenager, but didn't put on weight, so I became very lanky and bony. I worried about it so much that I went to the doctor who told me to "eat more chips" (it was the mid-1980s when terms like "GI diet" weren't invented yet). I'm not sure if eating more chips would have been humanly possible. I had chips and beans with a cream meringue almost every day of my life for lunch when I was in Comprhensive school (so much for Jamie's school dinners).

After finishing school, I was vegetarian for 15 years, which didn't exactly help me to put on weight - veggies have trouble getting lots of protein typically, although eventually all the substitute carbs (pasta, bread, pizza, potatoes) left me with a little tummy. I did cut out the chips then, but my lunch was a cheese and tomato sandwich, a bag of crisps, a yoghurt and a fizzy drink on most days. Oh to be in your 20s again and have a forgiving metabolism.

However, 2 years on from going back to meat and I was weighed recently at the doctors, who informed me that I am 1kg below the cut-off point for "obese" according to the charts. She took pains to tell me that "obese" is a controversial term and that muscle weighs more than fat so you could be obese and very in shape. However, I wonder - how did this happen?

Maybe it's because we've all gotten bigger over the last 10 years. I was in Burger King last month (disclaimer - I was stuck in Morecambe and needed to get some food), and was asked if I wanted to "go large or super" with my burger. Clearly "Supersize Me" only had a limited and temporary impact. But it's not just the downmarket food places - go to Marks and Spencers these adys and it seems that all they sell is enormous tins of chocolate biscuits.

Chocolate bars seem to have gotten bigger lately, and the proportion of larger people I see round town has increased. They can be a bit of a nuisance sometimes, as they tend to walk slowly and block aisles (so I can't get to the chocolate!) I wonder if it is because people are unhappy in some way, so are turning to comfort food - a news report said that the crap summer we had resulted in higher sales of cakes and sweets. I tend to get a craving for sweet things around 9pm - but usually try and sate it with something nominally healthy like an apple.

Despite my impending obesity, I still see a thin person when I look in the mirror. But I'm a long way away from being able to eat chips all the time. Now my lunch is a soup and a glass of water. I suspect by the time I get to 40 it'll just be the glass of water.

4 comments:

matty said...

I saw a picture of you on this blog not too long ago and you look great. So, I don't think you have any worries.

I do.

I was always painfully thin as a kid to about 28. Then the 30's hit --- and I really had to work in my late 30's to get back to a good weight. Now, I'm back to 180 pounds and a 31 waist. ugh!

But, I think it is just genetics and age. I will be 41 next month. So, I guess I need to work a bit harder. But, sometimes that piece of chocolate pie is more important to me than being back to 155lbs and a 29inch waist.

It just is!

Lubin said...

I'm 196 lbs and a 34 inch waist (although I think that's probably British clothes stores being kind on their customers!)

matty said...

You also work out -- so your weight will be different. You've nothing to worry about!

Lost Boy said...

Oh so many parallels. I ate nothing but chips and beans at school and was like the proverbial rake. I get older and start eating more healthily and my stomach expands as soon as I look at a slice of bread. Thanks to ludicrously sensible eating, the gym and waking everywhere I'm still slim but it's not as easy as it used to be. *superglues rose-tinted spectacles to face*