Monday, August 20, 2007

How Clean is your Office?

One of my favourite things in the world is throwing stuff out. I've had a big clearout of my office at work this week - got rid of two filing cabinets (all containing stuff I'd never looked at in 5 years). Now all my work surfaces are so clean, I feel like getting rid of most of my desks too and putting a sofa there instead. All I need now is a rug to hide the dark grey, industrial-looking carpet. I've also cleaned my PC keyboard at work, which I'm ashamed to say, was getting rather brown due to years of accumulated muck. Kim and Aggie would have been disgusted.

Speaking of disgusted, I've noticed that since the smoking ban, cigarette butts seem to be everywhere. Downstairs from my office is a student bar and outside it has become a walking ashtray. It's the same at my new flat. I cleaned up all the cigarette butts last week and they've all magically come back again. Walking through town now, you seem to see more people smoking and walking than before - they're getting a quick fix of nicotine before they have to go inside. I am hoping for a freezing cold winter this year, which will make it even more inconvenient for them to smoke, resulting in more people giving up. In my imaginary facist dictatorship, where I rule, smokers would be forced to take out their own private health insurance. Oh, and the drinking age would be 30, along with the driving age. There'd also be a 7pm curfew for everyone aged under 20. Just as well I'm not in power really.

2 comments:

Old Cheeser said...

I'm all for the no-smoking ban and it's done wonders for the bars and clubs. Coming home after a night out without your togs stinking of nictoine is wonderful.

The slight down side is that when you're in a bar, pub etc you can now smell everyone's BO and farts so much more easily. Mmmm!!

matty said...

I'm a bit of a clean-freak.

And, I don't like to keep things. Aside from a large DVD collection (kept in albums without the DVD art) I really do not own much -- it can all be fit in the back of a car.

...and most of what I own are clothes, shoes and odd Barbra Streisand crap I hide in a box under the bed.

So, my office is really quite clean.

I am the same way at work.

The US tries to ban everything. Personally, I don't see the prob with smoking in bars/clubs. Isn't that what they are for? Smoking, drinking, dancing and sex?

Anyway, yes -- if you walk down the Castro or South of Market at night you can barely get down the streets due to all the drunken smokers -- and all those butts (cig ones) everywhere!

But, that's just me.

B is going to quit smoking 10/1!!!! Yeah!!!! ...tho, he looks really hot holding a cig on the beach. ...I will sort of miss that. But, now, he will live longer!!!