Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Half-moved

Last night I slept for the first time in my flat in Lancaster - I'll be moving in properly in mid-September, but will be spending a few nights there between now and then. I had been renting it out to students for 3 years. For budding property developers, I would advise against purchasing cream carpets throughout. Also, buying an ironing board is a must if you want to avoid black imprints of irons all over the (sadly no longer) cream carpets. Banning bicycles from staircases is also recommended - unless you enjoy spending an evening with your hands in a bucket full of sugar soap solution, in order to remove tyre marks from walls.

I will have to get used to having different neighbours. There was loud music blaring out of someone's open window for a while - it's the sort of nihilistic bass beat you always hear from cars which have young lads driving them. (Why is it that whenever someone plays loud music out of their car, it's always gangsta rap or techno and never a rousing classical march or a cute song from a Disney film?) Also, someone has been leaving cigarette butts outside the front door. That'll have to stop. As an owner-occupier in my mid-30s, I intend to mob the resident's association with constant complaints until I get a reputation as a bitch.

I was woken up at 7.30 by the sound of the post office vans reversing loudly down the street (an admitted negative to living next to the central post office in town). However, it only took 3 minutes to get to a Cafe Nero for breakfast - so that's an advantage which cancels out the noisy vans.

I have to decide on a colour scheme for the whole flat by tomorrow. It is "doing my head in". The flat is dark as it is east-west facing and trees block the light from most of the windows. My fella has suggested doing the main bedroom in pink, but I don't really fancy it. He likes very strong yellows also. After having put up with magnolia for 2 years, I don't want to be boring - but I'm not sure I want to live in a battenburg cake either. Any ideas would be welcomed.

I am going to miss Bristol - especially socially-stratified Clifton. I haven't really seen any poor people in 2 years. Or anyone with bad hair. In Lancaster, everyone lives side by side. And fashion is rather more edgy (or non-existent). It'll take some getting used to.

But at least I won't have to dress up to post a letter anymore.

5 comments:

Rob7534 said...

Living with Magnolia! Good Lord.

Perhaps it's your penchant for 60's-70's flair, but I somehow imagined you would have wallpapered your sitting room/lounge in some pattern closely resembling the background of this blog.

Don't go disappointing!

Flaming Nora said...

Good luck in your new home. We once had some loud blaring music travel past our house in someone's car and the wine in my glass which was on a table in the garden actually jumped out of the glass. But that's London for you, innit.

Lost Boy said...

Blue is a good bedroom colour if one has trouble sleeping. You can get quite 'warm' blues these days. I reckon the colour of my scrollbar on my computer would be just perfect!

matty said...

it will keep you young!!!!

i suck at picking out colors for walls. i tend to go with all white -- B is a designer and much more creative.

i do have a knack for odd pieces of art, tho.

KAZ said...

White, white and more white.