Monday, July 30, 2007

Quickies


Just back from a conference in Birmingham over the weekend. So some quick points:

I hate missing trains by a few seconds and if you were on platform 3 at Bristol Temple Meads on Friday afternoon you would have enjoyed witnessing me having a screaming row with my fella, who refuses to run for trains. In my defence, it was a long time since I had had anything to eat. And watching 2 gay men scream recriminations at each other was an entertaining diversion for the 100 or so people who were watching. (We got another train 15 minutes later.)

I used to think Birmingham was nice, but it seems to have gone a bit rough since I was last there. Maybe I just got it on a bad day. Some lads (I'm guessing who were half my age) shouted "Battyman" at me and another conference member (who is outwardly effeminate) from a balcony, when we were walking through the Bullring. It's the first time I've ever experienced that sort of homophobic abuse. Fortunately, I was the only one who heard them. The day before I heard a group of drunk lads shouting "she-male!" at some random person. Why are so many young men such wankers?

The new Hairspray film has some good musical numbers in (it's a bit exhausting to watch), and the cameos from Ricki Lake, John Walters and Ben Stiller are nice. But I still prefer the subversive humour of the original film (I can't believe almost 20 years have passed since I first saw it - where did they go???)

I am reading a book about Forensic Psychology. It's pretty grim stuff. My fella took one look and said "oh that's your sort of thing!" I am quite normal really, but a few of my friends comment that I like weird films that have unhappy endings. I'm not sure why. Unhappy endings tend to make me think more and have more of an impact. And that makes me happy.

Octopussy is maybe the worst (ie best) Bond film ever made. Even if it does have a happy ending.

5 comments:

matty said...

Wow! You had screamed at your fella!

I don't do that. I never seem to get mad enough.

I'm with ya on HAIRSPRAY!

I would not think you are what one would call "normal" --- but that's a good thing!

I saw OCTOPUSSY when it came out. Mainly because I loved the title and looked forward to asking for a ticket. ...but, I think me and my pal fell asleep within the first couple of minutes. An usher had to wake us up.

Yes, the stoner years. Those were the days.

I do remember TARZAN with Bo Derek, tho. I thought he (Tarzan) was particularly hot. ...It was, however, terrible. ...and long. How did I stay awake thru that one?!?!?

Fin De Fichier said...

Is the argument on youtube yet?

Snippy Bitch said...

I think you mean cameos by John Waters and Jerry Stiller (who played the original Wilbur).

I loved that film, although I preferred the stage show.

Snippy Bitch said...

I think you mean cameos by John Waters and Jerry Stiller (who played the original Wilbur).

I loved that film, although I preferred the stage show.

Rob7534 said...

I loved Hairspray, which came as a surprise to me, because when I walked into the theatre I had every intention of not having a good time, I've been in a "funk" mood lately.

It was by far the most engaging film I've seen all summer, which doesn't say much I suppose, in this summer of sequels!