Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Money burning a hole in my pocket

We are moving back to Lancaster in a couple of months, having sold our flat in Bristol. Living up north is much cheaper than the south(west), so we will be notably better off and will only have 1 mortgage instead of 3 (don't ask). I am getting fancy new bathrooms in the new place (a 3 bedroom duplex), new sofas, new carpets, new everything. For a whole week my only topic of conversation has been "what sort of taps should I have?" which I acknowledge isn't even that interesting to ME, let alone anyone else. I am in danger of becoming one of those people who bore their friends by going on incessantly about bathroom suites and getting out the catalogues when people come round.

Today I bought a Playstation 3 and Sony 40 inch high definition LDC tv. To be honest, the picture on it isn't all that good close up, but when you put a blu-ray disc in, it's so beautiful that even the most rubbish film becomes amazing. (The only blu-ray disc I have is Resident Evil 2, which is not the greatest film in the world, so I am speaking from experience.) I wasn't sure whether to go with blu-ray or HD DVD (it's a rerun of VHS vs. Betamax of the early 80s), but after doing a bit of reading around online, and looking at what was available in the shops, it looks like blu-ray is the likely winner. More of the big media companies are supporting it, and it is inbuilt into the PS3 anyway. Now it looks like I will end up having to replace my massive DVD collection with blu-rays (after having just finished replacing all my videos with DVDs).

I had a bit of a bad experience 3 years ago when I last bought a television (it gave me headaches and the store wouldn't let me return it), so now I'm a bit wary of forking out a lot of money. This time I bought everything off Comet's website (they tend to discount the prices quite a bit online, and also, you have 7 days to return things if you don't like them if you buy online - which isn't the case if you buy instore). I took out a 3 year warranty plan as LCD tvs have problems with dead pixels (something I've encountered before), although I made the store manager promise in writing that they'd replace the tv if there was even 1 dead pixel (as a lot of stores don't consider 1 dead pixel to be a fault). Even after all that, I still ended up spending more than I had intended as I had ot buy buy a tv stand and a "monster" cable which allows you to watch blu-ray films. And I got a PS3 game called MotorStorm, which is a rather fun driving game.

Stuff doesn't make you happy apparently. But at the moment I am very happy.

5 comments:

Tom SF said...

I'm amazed you have a Playstation!

I have a PS2 and it is great for waving good bye to entire evenings.

Lubin said...

I know - I can be reassuringly normal at times. Though actually, I only really bought it for the blue-ray capacity. The PS controls usually make my hands hurt.s

Dessie said...

Colour me impressed! I hope your bathroom doesn't take two years to assemble like mine did...

You do know that the maint pulling point of HD-DVD is that they aren't region-coded, right? Blu-Ray are, so you're limiting yourself a bit (i.e. get a Xbox 360 and the add-on drive to be sure). I couldn't bring myself to buy Resi 2 because of that stupid STUPID *STUPID* (sorry) monster they threw in and how they turned Alice into Ripley. Ugh. I might rent it, Love Film do BR discs.

As for Motorstorm, fucking useless with the motion control turned on...

Fin De Fichier said...

Gosh, I wasn't aware of your bobo side. I must be the last person in the western world not to have a flat panel TV. Be advised that monster brand cables are a big ripoff, there are places in the US to order better cable for less, like haveinc.com or markertek.com. I'm sure there's something like it in the UK. Look at the adverts in Future Music magazine.

Does "duplex" in the UK mean the same as in the US...a house split down the middle into 2? Or does it mean any residence with more than 1 floor?

Old Cheeser said...

It's good to go hi-tec. I've finally just bought a digital box and it's wonderful - far better picture and far more channels! Bliss!

Us queens and our gadgets eh?

Whoops, perhaps I am jumping the gun...not everyone who's responded to your post may be of our persuasion, Lubin...

As good as it sounds, I really hope Blu Ray doesn't entirely supplant the "normal" DVD format. I couldn't stand the thought of having to go out and buy all my fave movies and tv programmes AGAIN.