Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Oh what's the point of it all?



I read a report in The Times yesterday, at the doctors, I've given up on buying it and returned to The Guardian (it's like moving to a different planet - the view of the world it gives is so utterly different). Anyway, the Times were reporting some on some study about blogs that says that everyone has a blog these days and teens spend 4 hours a week on their blogs. Nothing very exciting. It was probably funded by advertising. Anyway, I read quite a few blogs and sometimes I wonder what the point of it all is. Some people have a funny writing style, which I admire, some are informative. But some are (and I don't mean to be rude here) rather superficial.

There seems to be a lot of comment out there on the following subjects: celebrities, especially Britney Spears, Madonna, Paris Hilton, reality tv "stars", reality tv, sportsplayers (usually accompanied by pictures of them in their underwear or naked), "hot" men (again, pictured naked, and all with shaved identikit bodies, the same abs, the same tousled hair, the same tanned skin tone), comments about how people look, especially their weight, comments about the latest celebrity scandal, what we saw on tv last night, along with the minutiae of people's lives.

I guess I'm guilty (if that's the word) of the same thing, though I try to avoid putting up pictures of hot guys, even though I know it'd increase my readership. There's something a bit creepy about those sites - not only are the models all so similar and obviously air-brushed that I feel they erase what Dove call "real beauty", whatever that is, they also force sexuality on us, and make us focus on people as sex objects first and foremost.

I guess my point is not that these people are superficial - but that their blogs are. When did we all suddenly turn into Heat magazine? I don't read blogs for information. I get plenty of that at work. But I do look for original thinking, wit, good writing, pieces that make me feel something real, something that matters. And you know what? Britney Spears does not matter. There I said it. There's no going back now...

3 comments:

Fin De Fichier said...

I was going to have a post along these lines sooner or later on my blog. The problem seems to be, as you point out, most people are just looking at blog as another form of entertainment or what passes for news. Towleroad has to pimp a few hotties just to get people to read the rest of the articles on things that might actually affect the gay community.

I'm sure my blog has very few readers (beyond the people who have already posted comments there, I know them in "real life") because so few readers are really looking for something that is different, which I think my blog is for the most part. They might even think they are looking for something different, but they aren't. Although, I admit my blog is often poorly written and that could put some people off. I know how to write well and do so for work, but I just don't care enough to do that for my blog. Long run on setences, references error, elliptical reasonings? Don't care. Funny contrast to that are blogs I've found that are very carefully written, but discuss the most banal details in someone's life, like the issues surrounding having the water heater in their cellar replaced.
Most people are, in fact, superficial. So they read superficial blogs. Yours in one of the few that is consistently not superficial which is why I read it.

Tom SF said...

Ha - I put a post up about beautiful people just the other day:

http://boyzici.livejournal.com/553067.html

I guess the fact it has generated nearly 200 comments is a sign that beauty sells.

I'd like to think I am not obsessed about posting images of goodlooking men and women. And in this instance pics of me don't count.

Lost Boy said...

Hmm I suppose my blog can be guilty of celebrity commentary every once in a while. I like to think I'm not parroting every other excitable, wannabe 3 a.m. girl but, yes, I suppose many blogs could use a little more substance. I consider myself suitably chastened.