Saturday, March 24, 2007


I got the Ken Russell film Tommy from the second hand DVD shop near where I live. I've seen it a few times before - it's a weirdly hypnotic, unsettling film. I first saw it when I was 10 and didn't understand much of it and found a lot of it quite frightening - especially the scenes involving the Marilyn Monroe faith-headling cult, Tina Turner's twitching, leering Gypsy Acid Queen and Ann Margaret getting bathed in a baked beans commerical. Me being me, my favourite bits are all the camp numbers (described above) and the parts that have something to say about consumerism and celebrity. The BBC banned the music/film when it came out apparently. Everyone seems to criticise Oliver Reed's singing, but I think he was perfectly cast as the sleazy holiday camp green-coat. Ann Margaret is one of my favourite actresses (ever since I saw her perform an incredibly rinky-dink dance number in Viva Las Vegas). And wouldn't it be fun to spin round in one of those white bubble chairs, with soap powder, champagne, chocolate and beans being hurled at you? Or is that just me.



2 comments:

matty said...

O, I love you! You do know that this is one of my all time fave movies. I saw it when it came out. I was 8 and had forced my mother to see it with me.

Her contacts fell out during the Acid Queen scene!

Ken Russell rocks! ...or, rocked.

You MUST see LISZTOMANIA! You must! He went off the edge with that one! Of course, my father wanted to see that one and so I got to see it.

Ah, Ann-Margret in all that mess of beans, soap and chocolate -- and penis-like pillows. God bless Ken Russell.

And, Roger Daltrey circa 1975 still haunts my dreams.

My original one sheet Tommy poster hangs proudly in our hallway. Much to B's confusion.

...this film is loads of fun to watch with a pot-stocked audience in the castro -- which happens about once a year!!! You must come!

annmargretfan076 said...

I love the whole movie but Ann Margret in that mess was great. I wish I could have been there with her.