Sunday, January 21, 2007

15 is a difficult age



I started keeping a diary in 1988, aged 15. Today I took it out of the loft and read through it. In a lot of places it was unintentionally hilarious. I kind of feel a bit guilty for laughing at my 15 year old self. But here are some of the choice excerpts.

March 27th 1988

I think I am turning into a poser, I keep looking in the mirror all the time and brushing my hair. I am quite pleased with the way I look actually.

March 29th 1988

This town is a dump. We haven't even got a proper roof on our house. I want to get drunk.

March 30th 1988

I wish something would happen.

April 7th 1988

The kids in our street are really rough, one of them was banging another's head of a car bonnet this morning. If I had children of my own I would forbid them to have anything to do with the horrid little urchins who populate our square.

April 30th 1988

I would like to stop a foxhunt and be arrested. It's something students are always doing.

June 8th 1988

I have decided to embark on self improvement... keep clean and eat everything which is healthy.

September 7th 1988

"Staying in" is a disease. Take this warning. Never stay in night after night. It will destroy you.

November 11th 1988

In English Lit.. we had a conversation about Yazz. I am glad that I am making some friends.

November 25th, 1988

I am staying up until 2.00 to watch Mommie Dearest, a brilliant film in which Faye Dunaway is Joan Crawford. It is a cult movie, whatever that means.

December 23rd, 1988

I seem to be the only one who remembers that Christmas is about the birth of Jesus. I may make a speech about it on Christmas Day.

April 19th 1989

I want a hobby that's outdoors and cheap, basically.

4 comments:

Lost Boy said...

"I wish something would happen." Haha! It's all *very* Adrian Mole. In a good way.

Andy said...

heh Its so '88 I love it SO much, Mwah mwah mwah.

matty said...

This is the gift of journal keeping! ...to know who you were and how you ultimately formed to who you are now --- and, the funny things is --- if you're like me, you'll continue to laugh as you read your notes well into your late 30's.

going thru my journals always put me in perspective.

Now, I want to know. ...did you make that Christmas speech? AND, can you remember what the teacher discussed about YAZZ? ...did I miss a significant moment when they were popular?!?!??

kisses from GayTown,
matty

jetpack said...

that's made me chuckle! I have some old diaries somewhere, decorated with pictures of Nik Kershaw and Michael J Fox.