Saturday, December 09, 2006

Gay divorcees

My local radio station had a piece last week on civil partnerships. It's coming up to the year long anniversary of them. I had one back in January, and very nice it was too, we went out and had chips afterwards.

The radio story was all about one of the first couples in the UK, (who also live in Bristol) to have the partnership, whose relationship hasn't lasted and they're getting a "divorce" or whatever the term is - dissolution? The radio announcer was "trying" to be sympathetic and treat the "story" (if you can call it that) seriously, but he kind of put his foot in it when he referred to "same sex marriages" and then a little later, contrasted them with what he called "normal sex marriages". I guess that makes me abnormal. Nice to see that Alan Partridge is still in work.

I want to say something spiteful about the gay couple who are now getting a divorce, cos anyone who gets a divorce after less than a year really deserves a bit of a slap for being so flaky, gay or straight. But it wouldn't be very nice. So instead, just go and look at the picture of them on their "happy day". A picture that is worth 1000 (bitchy) words.

***

I've spent the weekend renewing my love/hate relationship with Lovely London. On the minus side: "cool" London people talking loudly in tiny restaurants so you could hear every word of their dreary self-promoting conversations, a 12 year old girl running rampage in a Tescos late at night screaming "You callin' me a NIGGER?" over and over again, missing every tube connection by about 3 seconds, everyone in Old Compton Street looking particularly glum and tired, the local news trying to whip up drama about their tornado "It occurred nearby a SCHOOL where CHILDREN could have been!", and mainly people, people, people everywhere. I think Leicester Square is my least favourite place in the whole world.

But on the plus, after years of searching, I finally found a clothes shop that sells men's shirts that aren't in check or stripes. Porchester Spa. Being able to see Children of Men, when it seems to have stopped showing everywhere else, the revamped Brunswick shopping Centre, and the great vintage Magazines shop in Soho. So not a bad visit really.

8 comments:

Flaming Nora said...

Interestingly, once you live in London you tend to avoid palces like Leicester Square hell. This weekend my mum was here and we took her to Covent Garden. So many tourist, so little breathing space. My least favourite London place is the corner of Oxford Street and Regent Street, it's hell on earth.

KAZ said...

I caught up with 'Children of Men' recently.
I just love Clive Owen.
Good movie, but the noisy stuff went on a bit too long at the end.

Next week I shall renew my relationship with Manchester.
It's been changing so quickly, it all looks a bit squeaky clean.

Old Cheeser said...

Yes Leicester Square is for the ignorant tourists who don't know anywhere better to go!! (Sorry Lubin - another Londoner talking). You sum up the minus stuff of London pretty well I think. If you're an outsider visiting it can all seem rather mad and crazy. If you live here, you become a bit blase about all of it. Probably the best survival mechanism.

That clothes shop looks good, will have to check it out some time. And the vintage magazines shop is a favourite haunt of mine, given my decidely cheesey, kitsch tastes. They sell great postcards, posters and t-shirts. There's one in Brighton too in the North Laines.

Old Cheeser said...

And I was going to add - re the Gay Divorcees story - I agree that it's unbelievable that those guys are spliting so soon. I'm sure they've got valid reasons but it's a bit sad. But where's the picture so we can think our own bitchy thoughts?

matty said...

I cringe when I see the media focus on gay marriage that fails because I can just feel the eye rolls and scorn of so many anti-gay Republicans here in our lovely Red States. But, then I just remind myself that some marriages just don't last. You'd like to think that a couple is more committed than throwing in the towel in less than a year, but I know that life can toss things in your path that you can't anticipate. So, who am I to judge? As soon as I do -- I will likely end up in the same place.

...and, I had heard that Alan Partidge had been brought back by popular demand. LOL!

Lubin said...

Matty, the pic's from the first link above.

I have lived in London myself in the past during a stint working for a magazine (one of the reasons why I have a love/hate relationship with it). So like you all, I normally avoid Leicester Square like the plague, but it was the only place showing Children of Men so I had to brave it.

Old Cheeser - yes, I love the vintage magazines shop in Brighton too, the old man who runs it is always so helpful.

Old Cheeser said...

Whoops - I am such a dumb dumb. The link to the photo was in your post after all. Well, the guys both look very happy, now why on earth would anyone think something bitchy when looking at it...?! Answers on a postcard please...

digital_jay said...

I've just offically announced my engagement to D and we're looking forward to after the wedding when its all offical and civil.

It is not something to be rushed into as getting the divorce will take longer as it hasn't been in force for a year yet so there are no techincal guidelines for divorce in place.

Its a shame that it had to happen but there again, this gaymen doing what they do best, making a point and regretting it months later...

As for London, I went there when I was a teen, survived a day and vowed not to return, I didn't take to the city at all, I don't see the appeal and I am hoping the D isn't going to suprise me by suggesting we go there at the start of 2007...