Friday, November 17, 2006

Don't go outside...

Apparently "The Thing" is going to be "remade" as a "companion piece" to the 1982 John Carpenter version (that was one of those films that everyone was talking about in school on Monday morning after it got shown at the weekend).



As much as I like claustrophobia and paranoia of "The Thing", there are a couple of other horror films projects that I'm looking forward to even more. One is The Hostel 2. The first one was not a very nice film at all (I had to put a lot of it on fast forward). However, a sentimental favourite of mine, Heather Matarazzo is starring in it. Heather was the star of Welcome to the Dollhouse, an indie flick from 1995 about a geeky schoolgirl with middle child syndrome. She listens to Debbie Gibson's "Lost in your eyes" and has a club called "The Special People Club". The film explores her blossoming sexuality with toe-curling humour. As someone who is 33% pensioner, 33% leading man and 33% geek, I could emphasise a lot with Heather's character (well, 33% of me could). I just hope they don't do anything horrible to her in Hostel 2 (which seems likely, considering the film's premise).

And I'm even more excited about the filming of Stephen King's "novella" The Mist. This was the first Stephen King story I ever read, aged 13 and I thought it was amazing. In the story, a man and his son pop into a typical American supermarket. Then this weird mist comes across, bringing with it all manner of eldritch Cthulu-ish nasties. Anyone who steps outside never comes back, and the patrons of the store begin to suspect that the entire world has been obliterated. Rather worryingly, the two military men from a nearby Top Secret base where experiments have been carried out, are found out back, having hung themselves. As the hours pass, the customers get crazy paranoid, and led by freakish Mrs Carmody, form their own religious cult that demands a human sacrifice. (I don't know about you, but I've always found that starting a religious cult is a great way of solving problems and getting your own way.) I stopped buying Stephen King books about 10 years ago, but some of his early stuff (Carrie, The Bachman Books, Misery) still has the power to freak me out. I just hope this is one of the better film adaptations of his books.

7 comments:

matty said...

Oh, I so loved Dawn from THE DOLLHOUSE. I hated that the filmmaker killed her character in his "sequel" ...but I still think that was the best of the film of 2005. Even if he did kill her off.

You know, John Carpenter's THE THING is one of those films that seems to really scare us guys but not the gals. I find that interesting. So, I shall see HOSTLE now that you say you liked it. I had heard it was homophobic so I skipped it. However, I shall now see it!

CARRIE and AUDITION are my two fave horror films.

Old Cheeser said...

I'm in agreement with you there Matt - I'd also rate "Carrie" as one of my favourite ever horror movies. In fact I read the novelisation fairly recently and was quite disappointed - the film does it so much better I think. The slo-motion scene at the prom, building up to the moment when Carrie gets drenched with the pigs' blood, is brilliantly executed and amazingly tense. Then when Carrie starts killing everyone it's horrible!! What's so tragic is that all of the carnage could have been avoided if everyone hadn't laughed at Carrie ... and who can forget the jump-out-of-your-seat finale? Great stuff.

Lubin said...

There's a quite funny parody of that famous scene in Carrie in "Another Gay Movie". Except it's not a bucket of blood...

Old Cheeser said...

Ohhh!! I can only guess what was in the bucket ...

matty said...

...that was a funny scene! Bucket of ...

"There all gonna laugh at you!"

"There not pillas. They're breast, Moma! And, Everybody has them!"

"...and, the raven was called 'sin'! SAY IT, WOMAN!!!!"

...i've seen this film far too much. Maybe it would qualify me to join Dawn's Special People Club...

Lubin said...

"I should've killed myself when he put it in me. After the first time, before we were married, Ralph promised never again. He promised, and I believed him. But sin never dies. Sin never dies. At first, it was all right. We lived sinlessly. We slept in the same bed, but we never did it. And then, that night, I saw him looking down at me that way. We got down on our knees to pray for strength. I smelled the whiskey on his breath. Then he took me. He took me, with the stink of filthy roadhouse whiskey on his breath, and I liked it. I liked it! With all that dirty touching of his hands all over me. I should've given you to God when you were born, but I was weak and backsliding, and now the devil has come home. We'll pray."


Ah, Piper Laurie. Good times.

Old Cheeser said...

I've really set you boys off now, haven't I!!

Bless...