Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Princess Pussy

I've never really understood why people get silly and squeamish about spiders, mice etc. Sure, they can surprise you if you're asleep and one crawls across your face, but apart from that they don't bother me at all.

My bathroom's the home to several species of spider. Lately, I've felt like a guilty intruder when having a shower because they freak out when the water splashes them. Twice this week I've cut the shower short because I'm worried about drowning them, and I keep having to check they're OK (yes, I am crazy - but there's worse to come).

Our cat brings in mice occasionally. Sometimes they're already dead (like last week when he greeted us in the morning, with excited miaows outside the bedroom door, displaying his "present" to us). On other occasions, he brings them in and they're still alive. My fella and I always disagree on what to do about it. I tend to catch them with a glass and put them outside, but he's of the opinion that they should be killed as they'll eventually over-run the place. He might have a point.

The building I live in houses a few other cats, who are younger and fitter and nastier. One is especially freaky-looking. It caught a squirrel last week, killed it and then ate the whole thing in the garden. My cat is scared of it. I am a bit scared of it too. My cat doesn't go out much - he's a spoilt, pampered Princess Nikki of a cat who demands attention from every visitor and sulks if he's not petted, tickled and fussed over (nothing like me then). He's never had to spend time in a cattery (I couldn't cope with the guilt of caging him and making him mix with other cats - see how I project my own neuroses onto him). The one time we were due to go on holiday and couldn't arrange a sitter, we got halfway to the cattery and I couldn't cope with his mournful yowls in the back of the car, so we I ended up cancelling the holiday (it was only a few days on the south coast). I think that was one of the days when my long-suffering fella really felt the bite of those "in sickness and in (mental) health" vows. I know how bad that sounds - at least I don't dress the cat in human clothes and arrange weddings for him.

Now, when we go on holiday, we pay a nice lady to come in twice a day and stroke the cat for an hour at a time (this usually ends up costing more than the holiday itself). I think the cat resents us when we come back.

When he dies (he is 10) I will never get another pet. I've always believed that if you have a pet you can't do things by halves. To be fair to him, he is the most good-natured cat in the world and is great company, especially when my fella is away. But pets mean responsibility if you do it right. And I think I tend to over-do it right. Also, I suspect we're both allergic to him a bit. So when the time comes it'll be Bye Bye Pussycat and Hello Photograph of A Pussycat...

5 comments:

Lost Boy said...

In an ideal world I'd love a pet, but cars aren't my thing. I suppose my ideal pet would be a dog, but I just remember how restricted my mum was with our dogs when I was growing up: always having to rush back and feed them; we could never go on holiday because we didn't trust anybody to look after them; the poo. I would love one one day, though.

jetpack said...

I love cats, and it's great that they can look after themselves up to a point. I always think having a dog must be like having a smelly, clingy special needs child - nothing wrong with that but I'd prefer not to have one given the choice.

matty said...

Are you sure that the thing that kills squirrels is a cat and not a small demon?!?!? Be most cautious!

I miss having a pet.

I still get sad when I think of my dog I had to leave behind in Boston. And, the cat I lost before I moved to Boston from Texas.

No pets now. But, maybe someday. ...a bowl of sea monkeys. If only they looked like the ones on the package.

KAZ said...

Oh, I'm so glad it's not only me.
My cat Eric is no longer with us - and he's irreplaceable. He got lost once and the agony of those days still haunts me.
I'm fine about spiders and creepy crawlies - but frogs terrify me. Is it the jumping? Shall I get therapy?

Gary James said...

I lost my cat after 15 years. Unfortunately it turned up again - Boom-boom!

I never got another though. I'd love one but I can't bare to lose it.