Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Still learning about this stuff

I love this speech. I want everyone to learn it off by heart and use it at least once a day.



this stuff?
oh. ok. I see. you think this has nothing to do with you
you go to your closet and you select I dont know
that lumpy blue sweater for instance
because youre trying to show the world that you take yourself
too seriously to care about what you put on your back
but what you dont know is that sweater is not just blue
its not turquoise
its not latmus
its actually cerulean
youre also blithely unaware of the fact that in 2002
Oscar de la Renta did a collection of cerulean gowns
and then I think it was Yves Saint Laurent wasn't it who showed cerulean military jackets and then cerulean quickly showed up in the collections of 8 different designers
and filtered down through the department stores
and then trickled on down into some tragic
causal corner where you no doubt fished it out of some clearance bin
however that blue represents millions of dollars and countless jobs
and its sort of comical how you think youve made a choice that exempts you
from the fashion industry when in fact youre wearing a sweater that
was chosen for you from the people in this room
from a pile of stuff.

3 comments:

mike said...

WOWWWWW!

I have just said this, out loud, in an empty room, while clapping my hands.

WOWWWWW!

fin de fichier said...

In my version of this movie, a shimmering ghost of Louis Althusser would have appeared at this point to discuss consumerism, ideological state apparatuses, and put Miranda Priestly in her place.

fin de fichier said...

Or it could have just as well been a ghost of Alexander Pope - Priestly's diatribe does violence to reason in general. 'Tragic Casual Corner'? What's tragic about people who don't have six figure incomes being able to cloth themselves? Are they supposed to wear rags and cardboard boxes? The film ultimately reifies my view when Andrea grows up and gives away her bling. I did enjoy this film though, Meryl Streep is da bomb in any role she has.
Ok...I'll stop blog bombing you, Lubin. Nighty night time for me.