Wednesday, July 05, 2006

I love you Penelope

This posting I did recently on the new meaning of the word "gay" has come back to haunt me. I wrote a book about gay slang a few years back and because of this, the BBC Radio World Service asked to interview me about the etymology of "gay" and what I thought about the new schoolyard usage as "lame". Normally, I hate going on the radio, but they said I could go to their Bristol premises which is only 5 minutes walk away, and it wasn't going to be one of those "balanced debates" where I'd have to fight it out with some Bernard Manning type and probably come off worse.

So I went along and said all I had to say. I even got in a comment someone made here on this site about "gay" not being fashionable slang anymore among schoolkids. (Thanks DazPaz.) When it was over, part of me was relieved, but another part was sad and didn't want to go home. I wanted to stay there forever and have my own radio show.

What made it all slightly glamorous was that in the waiting area (which was styled like Patsy's office in AbFab - all internet stations and big tv screens and perspex), I found myself sitting opposite Penelope Wilton - recent star of Doctor Who, also in Ever Decreasing Circles, Clockwise and loads of other stuff that I like. I'm kind of a fan of hers. But I didn't want to freak her out so I contented myself with furtively looking at her every now and again. She touched up her make-up and then read a newspaper as she waited for her taxi. When I was called to go in, I wanted to make an obscure reference to the weird 1978 tv play "The Norman Conquests" that she appeared in and then scream "I love you!" but managed to restrain myself somehow. I guess that's why they have security guards.

2 comments:

Rob7534 said...

Oh Lubin! Missed opportunities!

You should host a radio show, print up excerpts from your blog, and shop it around till someone gives you some space on air.

matty said...

I wanna read your book!!!