Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Damn this heat

I had been entertaining the fantasy of a nice retirement (in several decades time) somewhere hot. But this past month has made me realise that hot weather ain't all that. I feel like Clint Eastwood in a spaghetti western, during one of those scenes where someone's ran off with his water bottle and horse and he has to hike 100 miles through the desert. Hot weather also seems to make people crazy. I could give examples from real life, but I don't really have the stomach for it. I have spent a horrible amount of time on trains this week, and they've all gone hideously slowly because the signal points have overheated. I have changed my retirement fantasy to involve somewhere which has British weather in May all year long.

I saw the latest Don Roos film last week, Happy Endings. I enjoyed The Opposite of Sex, so thought I'd give this a go. It's a very similar film in that it has lots of the same elements (Lisa Kudrow, woman seducing gay man, shock pregnancy, a gun, homophobia, a gay man cheating on his boyfriend, sarcastic narrative), but all jumbled up. Kudos to Steve Coogan for playing American AND gay. The film's title comes from what happens at the end of a certain type of massage.

Now that Nikki has been voted out of Big Brother I have a feeling the programme has "jumped the shark". It's not too late to start watching Big Brother US - which is only 4 episodes in and had more scheming and intrigue in its first episode than the whole 7 years of UK Big Brothers put together.

2 comments:

jetpack said...

where does one download episodes of american shows? do you use bit torrent?

Lubin said...

cbs.com are actually giving away all the episodes for free this year, but I guess you could use bit torrent.