Friday, November 04, 2005

They're Mod! They're a Squad!




Do any American readers (of a certain age) remember a late 60s/early 70s tv show called The Mod Squad? It was Aaron Spelling's "breakthrough" show, so without it, we wouldn't have Dynasty, Melrose Place, BH90210 etc.

The Mod Squad was about a bunch of groovy cops - there was a cool dude with sideburns and outre fashion sense (Pete), a guy with a huge affro (Linc) and a blonde hippie chick (Julie). They were three basically good kids who'd dropped out of society and had various run-ins with the law. There was also an older gentlemen (who didn't get to be on many of the publicity shots - he was the Aunt Sassy of his day). He created the Mod Squad so they could infiltrate the counter-culture and catch crime-lords who preyed on younger kids.

But in general, the Mod Squad drove around in cars and looked fabulous. The premise is so outrageous is looks like it should be a parody of a 60s tv show, starring Parker Posey and Freddie Prinze Jr. But it's real. They actually made 5 seasons and a reunion special. (There was also a 1999 film remake starring Claire Danes, but let's not go into that).

Anyway, the programme has one of the grooviest theme tunes every created for a tv show. I haven't been able to stop playing it since I got it. It was used once in an episode of Friends when Chandler was chasing some girl down a busy street. And it can be downloaded for your pleasure here.

Although the show's long over, I think it could do with being revived (without Claire Danes). Anyone fancy getting a long blonde wig, \ lime green flower-print mini-skirt and taking the role of Julie?

3 comments:

Andrea said...

I have both of those things. I'll do it

matty said...

You know, I've never seen the show -- but I spent hours as a child perfecting the Julie stance. ...I was better with the That Girl run -- hand holding my lovely white late 60's floppy hat onto my head.

...free to be me.

Lost Boy said...

The film version was shockingly bad.