Wednesday, August 24, 2005


Anyone for almond cookies?

The Little Girl Who Lives Down The Lane is one of those quietly self-contained uber-1970s horror/thrillers starring Jodie Foster, as a hyper-intelligent, strong-willed, somewhat butch, old-before-her-years 13 year old who lives alone (her poet father is locked away in his study - or is he?) Jodie wears what appears to be a cross between a wigwam and a Ku Klux Klan costume in most of her scenes. There's something horrible in the cellar, and nasty landlady (played by Alexis Smith) and her paedophile son (played by Martin Sheen) are soon going to find out that you don't mess with Jodie Foster - not ever. I saw this first late one Friday night (my friends and I were kind of obsessed with it for a time) - and it's as good as I remember. Alexis Smith is only in two scenes - but what a bitch! She practically steals the whole film. The dialogue between her and Jodie is great - both of them ignoring each other's questions and getting progressively ruder. And Martin Sheen is genuinely creepy (hamster + cigarette = evil). The music is also good - a mixture of classical and '70s wacca disco. Definitely worth getting (and if you liked that, you should try Wait Until Dark).

4 comments:

Jay said...

Is it just me, or does the guy on the right look rather like Jonathan Ross...?

Not seen this film, but I have seen Wait Until Dark which is very good, so I'll be on the look out for it when I go to New York (as it doesn't seem to be available in this country?)

Lubin said...

It's available on ebay :)

JayMaster said...

Lubin – I do wonder if we were separated at birth? A lot of your posts have a very strong resonance for me. I remember this too from being younger, it was after I got a colour (yes – colour!) portable for my bedroom and I stayed up watching the film. The final scene which I assume your title is referring too has always stuck in my mind. Jodie was young, but definitely not someone to mess with.

Lost Boy said...

Oh I loved that film. "Do you taste almonds?"