Sunday, April 10, 2005

Memelicious

As revenge for naming him on a meme about music, Dan has got me back with this one....

You're stuck inside Fahrenheit 451, which book do you want to be?

Valley of the Dolls by Jacqueline Susann. It's an anti-romance novel, with some terrific camp scenes in it - notably a wig-pulling incident to end them all, tarnished innocence, drug addiction, massive weight gains and suicide attempts - it's like a copy of Heat magazine fell through a time magazine to the 1960s and landed in Jackie's lap so she turned it into a novel.

Have you ever had a crush on a fictional character?

Holden Caulfield in Catcher in the Rye. When his teacher started "stroking" him in the night, I was hoping that he would respond favourably, instead of jumping up and running away. Silly closet.

The last book you bought is:

A Young Man's Passage - the autobiogaphy of Julian Clary. The first sentence is "Nobody had told me I had become an old queen." Which I think is up there with Jane Austen's "It is a truth univerally acknowledged..."

The last book you read is:

"Make Room! Make Room!" by Harry Harrison. A classic sci-fi novel which was made into a film called Soylent Green (starring Charlton Heston). It's about over-population - something I like to think about quite a lot.

What are you currently reading?

A book called "The Worst Films Ever Made". Another autobiography of British actress Diana Dors. And I'm halfway through the Guardian's Weekend magazine.

Five books you would take to a deserted island:

Vanity Fair - it's so sly and nasty, and Becky Sharpe is a great sassy heroine.

Mapp & Lucia - wonderfully British and 1930s, about two great battling snobs whose deadly weapons are the Bridge Party, raspberry fool and the cutting retort.

Take It Like A Man - The (first) autobiography of Boy George. He's deliciously frank and catty.

Brave New World - I'm a sucker for dystopian sci-fi, and this one is so funny and clever. Soma, Alphas and Betas, ending is better than mending, thank Ford, orgy porgy! Love it.

Introduction to Sociology (because it's so huge and because I always crack up laughing when I read about how working class people are defined by how they arrange their sofas and their "what will be will be" world-view.

Who are you going to pass this stick to (3 persons) and why?

Groc, because he got me on the last meme.

Matt - as thanks in advance for a book he's sending me.

Tom to punish him for having such a high profile and winning all those awards and stuff.

2 comments:

William John said...

Rofl at that Catcher in the Rye comment, you silly boob. ;)

That book killed me, it really did. But come on... Mr. Antolini was a perve. If Holden had've reciprocated... lol ... you silly boob, Lubin! Ahaha! (did you ever see that movie with Jennifer Aniston where Jake Gyllenhaal wants to be Holden? "The Good Girl" it was called methinks.)

I love stories of overpopulation. Oh, oh... you have to read this story by Robert Bloch called "This crowded earth". I have this really old copy of it, which has two stories in the one book, but the other story isn't really that swell.

I don't mind sending it over if you wanna read it? 'Tis my only copy, but I reckon you'll like it. Let me know. :)

William John.

matty said...

I shall fill out the meme shortly! But, now I have to come up with something different than VALLEY OF THE DOLLS! That would have been my pick, too. However, I would not have been able to state as well as you!

I do hope you enjoy the 2 books I sent your way! Should be reaching you within the next week or so!