Friday, March 04, 2005

I have been tagged

I have to answer questions about my musical tastes now. Groc (who I thought wasn't even talking to me), thinks I will put down Barry Manilow or Liberace. Here goes...

1. Total amount of music files on your computer?

All the contents of my Ipod. About 50 albums worth.

2 The last CD you bought was

A double album of Spaghetti Western music by Ennio Morricone. I was a bit disappointed because they were all "cover versions" which sounded like they were done in someone's bedroom with a ZX81 computer from 1981. Still, a Fistful of Dollars still brings me out in a hot flush.

3. What was the last song you listened to before reading this message?

I'm currently listening to a soundtrack of the Tarantino film Jackie Brown that I've had in my car for weeks. I keep meaning to change it, but the first track, 110th Street is so good I can't let it go..

4. Write down five songs you often listen to or that mean a lot to you.

Fancy by Megan Mullally - it's the tale of a white-trash girl who's mother puts her in a slutty dress and tells her to go and "be nice" to the rich men in town: "Here's your one chance Fancy, don't let me down..." Fifteen years later, she's got a New York townhouse etc, while all the rest of the family have gone to the dogs. It's very inspirational, about ambition and what people will do to make it to the to. It's also camp as hell.

Why D'ya Do it? by Marianne Faithfull. A furious, feminist rant about a scorned woman, all to a reggae beat. "Every time I see your dick I see her cunt in my bed!" etc. Apparently the male recording artists who worked on this were all rather shocked by the language. Hurrah for Marianne, breaking taboos again.

Chris Isaak - Like the Way she Moves. Basically a song about anonymous sex. Chris at his most whore-like: "half ashamed, half smiling at the things we did." That line conjures up a multitude of images, doesn't it.

Matt Monroe - Secret Agent Man. Unashamedly kitsch. Whenever I hear it I am whisked off into a sunny, glamorous world where everyone looks like a young Sean Connery, people still drink cocktails and there is danger and intrigue in St Tropez...

Sammy Davis Junior - Spinning Wheel. A totally mad rendition that Sammy makes his own. I'm sure this song is about a drug addict "What comes up, must come down..." Sammy screams the last chorus in a way that makes it sound like HE is the addict.


5. What 3 people are you going to pass this baton to and why?

Ultrasparky - because when I visited him he had loads of cds and he is an arbiter of taste.

High Camp Caress Morrell - because his answers might be even more lowbrow than mine.

Mr Gent - because I'm guessing he likes this sort of thing.

1 comment:

Groc said...

i've no idea where you got the idea i wasn't talking to you - you must have confused me with someone else who really isn't talking to you -or something...

grocklette