Thursday, January 20, 2005

Some advice. If you ever buy a large and expensive item from a shop like Currys or Comet, then do not just go into the shop and buy it. Once you get the item home and out of the box you can't get a refund if you decide you don't want it for some reason. Instead... go into the shop, decide what you want, then go home and buy it from their website. You will then have a week to decide if you want to return it (keep the box it came in). And also, you won't get the goons who work in the shop trying to sell you extended warranty (which is almost always an expensive waste of your money). I'm speaking from expensively purchased experience here...

Last night I went to the local monthly student LGBTQXYZetc night at the Student Union (I am 32 incidentally). The last time I went there was 1996. It hadn't changed much: there was a non-smoking area, which seemed like a nice idea, but nobody was paying much attention to it. The drinks were all shockingly cheap, and I noticed several girls who were barely able to stand up they were so pissed (never a good look to have) - it seems that what the newspapers are saying about binge drinking is true. I also bumped into one of my students and said "come and see me about your dissertation". My other (equally old) friends complained about how young everyone looked, but I didn't care. I may be almost twice their age, but you can do a lot with laser eye surgery, good dentistry and a personal trainer these days. I didn't recognise any of the music that was played (anything after 1990 is a blank to me), but I still enjoyed myself on the dance floor. Still, I don't think it'll be a regular thing.