Wednesday, January 12, 2005

On a steel horse I ride...

I've never claimed to be particularly fashionable when it comes to music tastes (see the sidebar to the right if you want evidence). In fact, when I meet someone new and they ask me what music I'm "into", I generally blush and try to direct the question back to them. Then I pretend to look interested for ten minutes while they throw names of cool and new groups at me that I've never heard of, in the desperate hope that we can find some common ground. (I wonder how I've ever managed to make any friends sometimes.) I think my music tastes were fashionable for about a week in 1990. Since then it's all been downhill.

In truth, my music tastes have tended to focus around easy listening/lounge stuff for the past decade or so. But every now and again there is something which gradually creeps under the radar, usually after everyone else has finished with them. It is (shamefully) such with Bon Jovi. I know he's kind of naff now, but that's why I like him. I love how his songs are usually stories as well, his pop videos are like little 3 minute films in themselves, and the songs are so epic and silly, they're kind of like an ultra-butch form of camp. I mean, what can you do with a lyric like "I've seen a million faces and I've rocked them all"? And Mr Bon Jovi himself seems so trapped in the 1980s - an oasis of dark blue denim and bad hair. I just love him. In fact, I feel like going out and getting my navel pierced before riding out of town on a motorbike as a tribute. Do any other bloggers dare confess to less than tasteful musical tastes

5 comments:

DazPaz said...

Carole Bayer Sager's "You're Moving Out Today" is still a guilty pleasure.

lola said...

I have a polite affection for Neil Diamond.....hands, touching hands, reaching out!

PJ said...

Janis Ian, at seventeen. very tasteful, but not very tasty, and not a whole lotta cred.

Andrea said...

My tastes are fairly similar to yours but I have an unhealthy unironic love of Karen Carpenter. I even have her solo album.

ZFW said...

Far too many to mention, but I do have an absolute adoration for any 80's rock, especially if the singer has big hair 'n' bad attitude, hopefully Bon Jovi will lead you this way. Power ballads too, I *hate* ballads as a rule, but 80's power ballads rock my soul with pain and pleasure - Bonnie Tyler's peado-fest video for Total Eclipse of the Heart is a permanent fixture on my Sky+. Finally, before I drone on, I may be the only gay person amongst my friends who listens to the Carpenters and Barbra Streisand without irony or innuendo.