Sunday, January 16, 2005

I have spent the weekend in Paris, which is always nice. Paris is one of my favourite places in the world. Here are some of the things I noticed about it:

  • Unfashionable hair. People in Paris have yet to discover the crypto-mullet, spiked, over-stylised hairstyle, and many of them have boring hair consisting of sensible side partings etc. This made a nice change, as my hair was fashionable for once. A small minority of women had very scary, frizzy, bright red Halloween hair.

  • Smoking. Everyone seems to smoke 80% of the time. Restaurants/cafes etc only make the most mealy-mouthed attempt to have no smoking areas, which are often not enforced. This is worrying.

  • Graffiti in the toilets of the Pompidou Centre read "Bush is evil" and "Bush: Start Thinking!" I can imagine George Bush visiting the Pompidou Center toilets and having that graffiti rock his world.

  • Queueing. Not something that some French people were very good at. I saw three occasions of blatant queue-jumping, and my fella got into a fight (in French) with a woman over this at one point in the Virgin Megastore by the Louvre. I was everso proud of him, especially as he won.

  • Vegetarian food. Still a no-no. The sandwich au fromage, the salade verte and du frites are the only available vegetarian options. Ham, on the other hand, is everywhere.



On the plane I read The Curious Incident of the Dog in The Night-time, which is narrated by a teenage boy with Asperger's Syndrome. It's a good book and I've always found Asperger's Syndrome to be fascinating. People who have it tend to like routines and facts, and usually can't work out other people's emotions. I think Asperger's Syndrome is on a linear scale, which we all have to different degrees. And I often wonder who or what would be at the most opposite end of the scale - someone who is 100% non-Asperger's. I guess they'd be very emotional, social, extroverted, sexual, with no interest in facts or routines. Someone like Tanya from Footballers Wives perhaps?