Friday, November 05, 2004

The L Word (Living TV) just gets better and better. This week's episode involved a love triangle between a bisexual woman who looks like a cat, a heterosexual man and a male-identified lesbian who calls himself Lisa. Now you can't say that's been done before! There was also a storyline involving an attack by Christians on a modern art gallery where Jennifer Beals' character was showcasing some art involving Jesus fucking a woman from behind. It all characterised oh so well what Simon Schama in today's Guardian is calling the DSA (Divided States of America).

Speaking of The Guardian, did it really cause the election to go to Bush? A couple of weeks before the election they mounted a campaign asking its readers to write "oh do go on and vote Democrat" letters to voters in Clark County, one of the swingiest parts of Ohio. The responses to some of these well-meaning missives were quite funny, with enraged Americans referring to the British as "stupid, yellow-toothed pansies" with "pansy-ass, tea-sipping opinions". I think the keyword here is pansy. Although I like The Guardian, with hindsight, their "campaign" was one of the dumbest things they ever did.

I have been continuing playing waterpolo every week. Apparently my choice of swim-wear has caused considerable comment among the other members of the group. "You are invited to a bonfire party. You don't have to wear your sexy white trunks - though that would be a bonus!" went one email I got today. I've also been told that they're very revealing, particularly when wet. Have I unwittingly been bringing shame on the street?

The National Lottery is ten years old this week. I remember exactly where I was and what I was doing when it started (an awful night out in Widnes). I've never bought a lottery ticket or a scratch card. Although I'm atheist, my mother was brought up Methodist and I think she may have transferred some of the values to me accidentally.

It is also Bonfire Night tonight. Fireworks are going off continually outside. Is it just me, or are fireworks really boring and crap? Every year, the entire population of Lancaster (minus me) troop up to the Castle to ooh and aah over a firework display. It's usually really cold, the ground underfoot gets muddy and the badly controlled crowd management means that it takes ages to leave. Maybe you can only see so many firework displays before "the magic" stops working and you just feel a sense of deja vu, remembering all the other firework displays you've seen. In any case, I'll be staying in.

Also, in a shameless attempt to garner more readers for Trash Addict, here is a picture of Victor Racek and "friend" from the book A Taste of Italy by Lucas Kazan. To quote Linda Barker, "I like it, I hope you will too."

No comments: