Monday, March 29, 2004

After sitting through dozens of stupid films where a bunch of nice, innocent middle-class teens get lost in the American Wilderness and are murdered by inbred hick locals (Ameriacn horror films are almost always all about social class), I had decided it was time to reverse the genre and make a film where a bunch of nice innocent hick locals are killed by middle=class teens. And I think I've found that film in Cabin Fever. Although I didn't like it. My sister warned me I wouldn't like it, but I had to see it anyway. The premise was OK - teens trapped in woods, threatened by deadly disease (at least it makes a change from some guy in a hockey mask). But, as with the character of Nomi in Showgirls, all of the "heroes" were thoroughly unlikeable, and you ended up cheering as they were bumped off. The film had decided to adopt what must be de rigeur teen-speak in the U.S. these days - men calling women "sluts" and everyone referring to thoughtful or sensitive behaviour or anything else they randomly don't like as "gay" (I'd like to find out who thought up that little rebranding and show them what "gay" really means). At one point, when a local hick guy who has the disease shows up asking for help, they first shoot him, then lock him outside, then hit him and then set fire to him. And all he's done is ask for help.

Dawn of the Dead (The remake) is a little better - although the reviews are calling it slick - a word which collocates in the 100 million word British National Corpus with "oil", "presentation" and "advertising". Here there was less "message" than the original and more editing, humour and action. I may be an anti-postmodernist, but I like the messages. Can we have more of them please.

No comments: