Tuesday, November 11, 2003

Visiting New York, with the lovely Dan who knows all the best places to go to. Am typing this in an Easy internet cafe, sitting next to Edith Massey's twin brother Crazy McCrazy.

It's been a while since I've been here and I'm always interested in the subtle shifts that have occurred since my last trip. At the Virgin Megastore and a few other places you now pay by swiping your own card and writing your signature on an electronic screen. Flatbread is everywhere - you can't get normal bread anymore. I've seen the future and it's a "denim bar".



My new favourite film is Die Mommie Die - a Charles Busch masterpiece, where he parodies all of those old Joan Crawford/Bette Davis movies with such skill that it actually transcends parody and becomes a new genre all in itself. Jason Priestly also plays a bisexual gigolo, so it's worth seeing for that alone.

No comments: